10.20.2008

Building a Great Team …. A Key to Success

The Key to Success … step three

This fall I will mark twenty-one years serving as the Lead Pastor of our church. It's hard to believe it's been over two decades. Patty and I started the church in our mid-twenties with a passion to reach this community. Things have changed, but our passion has remained the same. Now, however, our passion is couple with a little experience that we have gained through the years.

In previous posts, I have mentioned the first two steps of a successful venture … vision and faith. Those are the foundation of any successful ministry or business. Today, we need to take the third step. This step is equally important if you are going to sustain your dreams. What is it? You need people to help you accomplish what you have been called to do. Without a strong team, you will wear yourself out and the people you are attempting to serve will go home frustrated.

There are several Biblical stories that teach the value to team building. In Exodus 18, God uses Jethro to teach his son-in-law Moses critical lessons in leadership. In short, he said, "Build a team and release the work to them." Later on in the Old Testament, we see principles like a cord of three strands is not easily broken. In the New Testament, Jesus developed a team of twelve disciples and then he had an inner circle of three: Peter, James and John.

So, how do you build a team? There are several steps to building a solid team, but the first one begins with you. You have to be confident in your abilities and in your calling or position. If you lack confidence, people will sense it and eventually your lack of confidence will create fear in the group. Be sure of who you are and realize that God has ordered your footsteps and given you influence…use it wisely.

Now, about building teams, there are several ingredients that solid teams have. A good team needs chemistry. At Stevens Creek, when I add someone, whether they are paid staff or let's say the Elder Team, I ask myself, "Do I want to go to lunch with them? Do I want to hang out with them outside of the church?" If I cringe at the thought of hanging out with them, then that's my answer. They are not in my "calling circle". Effective teams need chemistry. I appreciate a diverse team, but like-mindedness is more important than diversity.

Next, one of the most important qualities of any new player on the team is character. In my world, I expect team members to be people that have integrity. If an organization adds people that lack integrity, then their ability to expand their work and sustain their growth is greatly hindered. You cannot build an effective organization on questionable behavior. I want to work with upfront people, people I can trust. I don't have time to be a policing agent. If I can't trust you, then you are not on the team.

When I was just a few years into my pastorate, there was an Elder that came into my office and said, "I think that you have too much power here and I am here to see to it that that changes." Now, I appreciated his honesty, but he did not trust me so I looked at him and said, "Thanks for letting me know. You are no longer an Elder." In fact, he was not the first Elder to play that card; there was one before him that was invited off the board in a similar fashion. That was then; today The Creek is very different. Back then, we did a popularity vote for Spiritual Leadership. Popularity contests do not work. Today, I work with the finest group of folks that you can imagine. They are men of great character in the church and in the community.

Next, when I add someone to my team, I want to know what they will bring to the table. What are their gifts and what are their passions? Are they gifted to serve in the area that they are being asked to serve in? Not only is giftedness important, but are they competent? Can they get the job done? There have been many times that I have not been able to afford competence so at that point you have a choice to either hire / add incompetence, add a young person that you can develop, or do it yourself. I would lean to hiring a young "eagle". Take a chance on quality young people. I appreciate experience but if I cannot afford an experienced person, I will stand in line at the commencement service and try to get the best young leader that I can get.

Stevens Creek is a great organization. It has been very successful because we have built great teams. I am especially proud of the staff and Elders that serve our congregation.

Leadership Team:
Todd Sturgell is one of the greatest team builders in the business. You can look at the volunteers and staff members that work for him and see he is a remarkable leader. I hired Todd when he was 24 years old. I actually offered him the job when he was 23, but he rejected my offer (young and inexperienced). Todd was and is an "eagle". He flies high above the rest of the people in the music field. Todd is even tempered and passionate yet strong and trustworthy. In 14 years of working together, I have never doubted his loyalty, never questioned his character and I have appreciated his friendship through the good times and the bad. Todd is a leader and he often leads me. Let me pull off the mask for a moment. On several occasions, I have stepped back and allowed Todd to lead the church which means that he has chosen the sermon topics and helped provide direction for the organization.

Like I said, Todd is a great leader, but I have discovered that I am not the best follower. I sometimes follow ….kicking and screaming. Todd makes the scripture fromJohn 21 very real at times: Jesus said, "Feed my sheep. I tell you the truth, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go." I am working on being a good follower. But, before Todd memorizes that scripture, I would remind him that I just may have the spirit of Caleb from Joshua 14:10-11: So here I am today, eighty-five years old! I am still as strong today as the day Moses sent me out; I'm just as vigorous to go out to battle now as I was then. Seriously, I am honored to serve on the same team as Todd.

Kevin Lloyd is one of the greatest leaders in the church world. He is truly an "eagle". He has a unique ability to communicate truth in a way that people can get it. With a home-spun humor, Kevin will capture your attention and help you to see yourself in the situation and then help you understand how God's word has the answer for your situation. What you may not know about Kevin is that he is a process thinker. He knows a good process when he sees it and then he can transfer it to us and make what we do much better. Kevin's leadership role at The Creek will continue to expand. Simply put, he is the real deal. He is a confidant that is filled with great wisdom that I appreciate.

Dave Willis is an extraordinary leader and also the nicest guy on the team. Dave is too nice at times, but that's okay too. We all need grace and Dave gives it out in loads. Dave and Ashley's story at Stevens Creek is supernatural. God brought him to us when we needed it. God prompted me to put an add for a teaching pastor on an Internet board on one day. Dave read it the next day and drove to Augusta uninvited on the next day. He came to experience one of our Wednesday Worship services. I was impressed. Todd was impressed. Then, Dave very casually mentioned that if you want to hear me speak, go to this website. I listened to two minutes of his message and I was hooked. WOW! Dave, like Kevin and Todd, is an eagle that will influence thousands of people for the cause of Jesus Christ. He has a rare gift. Dave is humble enough for God to use him in extraordinary ways. One day, we will all step back and say, "I remember when Dave was in his twenties, look at him now."

These are the guys that I work with closely, but there are other staffers make our leadership team what it is. People like my Assistant Stacy Lewer. I could not do what I do without someone like her. I have to mention Ann Williams. She has been working with our finances for over fifteen years. Ann can be trusted. Ann is faithful and loves to play with numbers and create graphs. She helps us see where we have been so that we can see where we can go. We have recently been blessed with Connie Seviertson. Connie stepped into a very difficult role. Connie serves as the point person for our Guest Services Ministries. The reason that her role is difficult is that she replaced Cindy Lytle who was tragically killed in a car wreck a few months back. God has anointed Connie for this role and she is a perfect fit.

Then, I look at Dave's team. I think about people like Dorna Adams. She is always willing to serve Christ wherever she is needed whether on the mission field or teaching a membership class. In the next few months, it will be Rev. Dorna Adams. Congratulations Dorna! Also on Dave's team is Steve Sturgell. I have always wanted a mature person with a tender heart to help care for our people. We have that in Steve. I think about Christian Walker who is serving in our facilities. He is a portrait of faithfulness. I think about Chris Miller who is serving beside Christian. He is a man of great passion.

Then, I look at Todd's team. His number one team member is his wife, April. My kids have often said that the reason I keep Todd around is for April. Well, that's not exactly true … well not exactly … well maybe…. No… no … no. Let's move on. Todd's assistant is Sharon Hutko. She has been a part of our ministry for over fifteen years and has served as a volunteer and now on staff. Sharon brings joy to the staff. In addition to that, Sharon gets the job done. Sharon's co-hort in joy is Wes Hennings. Wes is our Technical Producer. He makes all of us better. Wes' heart is large; it is filled with love and compassion. Along with Sharon and Wes, Todd's team features Jeff Brotherton. Jeff is one of the newest staffers on the team. He moved to The Creek from Florida earlier this year. Jeff touches people through media. He probably does not realize it, but I am a huge fan of media ministry. Without someone like Jeff, I would be using a flannel graph and a mimeograph. Todd has other leaders that strengthen his team. I think about people like Tony Cooper in drama; Errol Jackson in dance; Paula Toole and Ian in graphics, Annette Berger with lights, CW, Warren and Chris Toole with sound.

Kevin's team features a group of winners. At the top of the list is Melissa. Kevin's wife Melissa quietly keeps everything going. She is a behind the scenes force that breaks out on the main stage on occasion. Not only does Melissa lead and disciple teenagers with her love and care, but she is an awesome worship leader. Nina McMorrow is Kevin's assistant. Nina and her husband James has been a tremendous addition to our staff. Nina, a graduate of Lee University, stepped into a changing landscape and worked diligently to do what she was called to do. She has connected with our teens in ways that few people have. Nina and James are a blessing to me and our ministry.

Kevin's Director of Children's Ministry is the newest eagle on staff. His name is Bob Wilson. Bob brings a wealth of experience to The Creek. He and his wife Tonya have added a peaceful dimension and a quiet confidence in our children's ministry. I am thrilled to see what this department will be like in the coming months. One of Kevin's strongest leaders is Allyson Campbell. Allyson takes care of the Pre-school department. When I say "takes care", I mean it. She has single-handedly navigated that department through an enormous amount of change. It's amazing to see her team at work. I am indebted to Allyson for the "extra mile" that she has walked for me and our congregation.

This is just a sampling of hundreds of Team Members. Stevens Creek is effective in its ministry because there is a great team in place. Now, some may read this post and say, "It's easy to build a team when you pay people to play on it." Well, it's has not always been that way. You've heard the story … we started in a borrowed living room with twenty-four people. Most people do not realize that nearly half of the people that day were less than twenty-one years old. For ministry to be effective, teams must be built. Start with a small group. Instill vision, step out in faith and train up people to carry forth the work. It worked for Jesus and it will work for you.

MartyBaker@stevenscreek.net

No comments: