1.05.2009

Stevens Creek's Bible Verse for 2009

Do you have a life verse ... you know ... a verse that describes your heart and your passion? There have been many verses through the years that have helped me through a season in my life. Most recently, Ephesians 3:20 has been the verse that has captured my heart. Can you quote it? "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us..." This verse has guided Stevens Creek for the last eighteen months. As a result, we have seen the Lord do immeasurable more than we have asked or even imagine. It has truly been incredible.

A few days ago in a staff meeting, a thought hit me: What's the verse for 2009? If God did "immeasurably more" in 2008, what about now? As soon as I had that thought, the words of John 14:12 came to me. Okay, let me be honest, the words of John 14:12 came to me, but I did not remember what section of the gospels these words came from. I had to use www.biblegateway.com to help me locate the verse. So, what are the words? "Greater works". Here's the verse. John 14:12: "I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father."

I believe that God is going to do "greater things" this year. It's time for us to open our eyes and see the harvest, expand our vision for the community, and strengthen the foundations of our church. This year you will see God do amazing things ... even greater things than you imagined.

Get ready!

-- Marty
martybaker@stevenscreek.net

PS
The words "greater works" came to me because those are the words in the King James Version of the Bible. When I was a kid, I memorized the KJV. If I am not careful today, the KJV flows out of my memory banks. Now, I typically use the New International Version. So, my first challenge of this new year is to memorize the NIV words for John 14:12.

No comments: