1.08.2010

A mentor has passed ... my tribute to "Mr. Scott"

When I look back over my life, there is noone more other than my parents that has helped to shape me into the person that I have become than Leland "Sandy" Scott. Mr Scott served as the high school band director in Abbeville, South Carolina for nearly twenty years.  He was our town's Mr. Holland's Opus.  He was more than a band director but he was a developer of leaders. In my life, I have been around some of the greatest leaders in America, but very few of them would compare to Mr. Scott.

Mr. Scott was the band director in Abbeville for nearly twenty years. In those days, middle school students could march in the high school band when they enterred the seventh grade, so you were under his leadership until you graduated high school. 

Mr. Scott took our little high school band and created a dynasty. Under his leadership, the Abbeville Grenadiers won eight consecutive South Carolina State Band Championships. He set a record that has never been broken. In addition to that he led the band a top ten national ranking. We were ranked number three in the nation in 1973.  I will never forget my first contest as a seventh grader.  We were going up against the number two ranked band, Slyva Webster from North Carolina. We were doing or customary "think about the show" routine where we had to sit in silence for thirty minutes before going on the field.  He broke the silence with a quick pep talk. During that speech, he looked at me and said, "Baker, if you don't hit that line, the lights of the funeral home will be on for you tonight." In our town, they only turned the lights of the funeral home on when someone has passed.  When he said that fear covered my body and tears started flowing down my face.

That night I did not hit the line. As a result, I was taken out of the show and was made to stand at attention when the band performed for the rest of the season.  That was hard but it taught me that in life you have to earn your spot. There are no free lunches.  He instilled in me a work-ethic that has helped me throughout my life.  Mr. Scott was a disciplanarian.  I have never known anyone like him.  In today's market, his tactics would be frowned upon, but that was a different day. His discipline created winners.

Not only was he a disciplanarian, but he was a visionary.  He helped you see what you could not see.  He inspired us to do what we could not do. He was an entrepeneur. The band needed funding so he led the booster club to buy Greyhound Buses for the band to travel in but when the band was not using them, he chartered them out to other groups.  It was always funny to have the band drive up in nice buses with reclining seats and a restroom while the football team traveled in school buses.  Mr. Scott instilled a vision in us to better ourselves....to live out your best self.

Mr. Scott was known for yelling, screaming, throwing batons and an occasional chair. He was sort of like a Bobby Knight personality. He was different because even though he ranted and raved, you knew deep inside that he loved you and wanted the best for you. You knew that if you listened to what he was telling you that you would learn to do something right and would be a better student. 

He was not only a teacher, a developer of leaders, and a visionary, but he was a politician.  He was elected to the City Council and served as Mayor Pro-tem on one occasion.  The people in the city respected him like few others.

Mr. Scott was a passionate person with a constant faith.  There was no such thing as separation from church and state in his book. You practiced Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. You did not practice Wednesday because it was church night.  Prayer was always a part of the band performances. We never enterred the field without pausing and asking God's blessing on our endeavors. It was probably in band that I memorized the Lord's Prayer.

When I was in the eleventh grade, Mr. Scott selected me as the Band Captain. This was very unusual for an eleventh grader. This position was typically reserved for seniors.  I served two years and it was during this time that he poured into me and helped develop me into the person that I am today.

Shortly after I graduated from high school, Mr. Scott retired.  Oh, he was not old at the time but he was ready to focus on the local church.  He became the Lead Pastor of Callie Self Memorial Baptist Church in Greenwood, South Carolina.  He has served that church for over twenty-five years.

Patty and I were blessed to see Mr. Scott a few months ago at a band reunion. It was an amazing night. Students flew in from all over the country to give a tribute to this wonderful man.

Last October, our congregation, Stevens Creek Church, started broadcasting our services on the local FOX television station, WFXG. This station is on the cable system in Abbeville.  One of our viewers in Abbeville was Mr. Scott.  My parents ran into him and his wife, Verlene at a restaurant two days before he passed. Mr. Scott said, "I want to drive down and see Marty's church." They made plans, but sadly enough those plans will not come to pass.

On Thursday evening, January 7, 2010, Leland "Sandy" Scott passed on his reward. He leaves behind a loving wife and two children and grandchildren. He leaves behind a legacy that few of us could imagine.

Today, I honor you ... Mr. Scott ... the BandMan.  Now, it's time for you to enter into the joys of the Lord.

Oh yea, one more thing ... Mr. Scott...the lights of the funeral home are on tonight for you.  You have completed your race and it was an amazing race.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recall similar things about Mr. Scott.
Even though I grew up in the band programs in Greenwood until graduating in 1984, I knew him through church. While my father was pastor at Callie Self for some 30 years, Mr. Scott was a committed choir director who worked alongside my father.

My first horn was a loaner provided by Mr. Scott from my 5th grade year for about 3 years. Even with his disciplined means, the caring portion came out simply through his giving manner. Although I chose a different career path, there were half a dozen men and women who gave me the time and attention that helped me develop the discipline needed to keep playing, competing and performing on my horn weekly up to this day. I have them and especially Mr. Scott to thank for this. In the end, all praise be to God.

Peace and God Bless.

Andy L. Westbrook
westbrookpub.wordpress.com

Janet Kizer McCabe said...

Marty~~Thank you for this loving tribute to a man who influenced and touched so many lives. I laughed and cried through the reading. He was definitely a mentor in my life, and I am so honored to have such a man in my life. When I was planning my wedding 32 years ago, there was no discussion over who would sing: Mr. Scott of course.

My heart is breaking and my grief deep, but there is so much comfort in knowing that he is at rest and peace with the Lord: he has finished the race and now has his crown of reward. I love you, Mr. Scott. Thank-you!!
Janet Kizer McCabe
AHS Class of 1971

Beth Clay said...

Marty,

Thank you for these loving comments. I well remember the day at Wright Middle when we were 'called up' to join the high school marching band. We were all so scared and excited. Mr. Scott instilled in so many of us a desire to achieve great things - whether is was a perfect inspection or honor roll, or hitting the high notes, we all sought his approval and respect. He was for those of us in single-parent homes, a strong positive male role model who walked a Christian path with a grand sense of humor and reality. Our school systems need more Mr. Scotts.

I remember the travel rules and the lecture we all got that if we should break the rules, we would be sent home at our parent's expense - from camp, or from New Orleans, or Florida, or Washington. It was a desire not to not disappoint Mr. Scott that kept many of us from breaking those rules.

Thirty years later, the play it, whistle it, fingersnap it method of practicing our marching routine is still engrained in my brain. "Scotland the Brave" still floats across my brain at some of the strangest times...and every time I drive down Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington, I am reminded of that bitter cold day, not unlike the cold we are experiencing right now, that we marched in the Inaugural Parade. Often when saying the Lord's Prayer I reflect on those cold nights before going headed onto the football field, with Chris Ceraldi in the middle, of a circle of band members, all our heads bowed, whether Baptist, Catholic, Episcopalian, Jewish, Methodist, or something else, joined together saying what some consider the most perfect prayer.

Mr. Scott instilled in us a 'whatever it takes' attitude, and whether it was doing radio spots to promote our concert or to raise money with a radiothon, or the 'rent a kid' fund raiser when we washed windows and raked leaves to raise money for a big trip, or selling donuts, candles, or calendars we did it. And during the spring, he gave us the opportunity to work in the baseball concessions so we could pay for camp and other trips. I remember he used to say we traveled because there were kids in Abbeville that seldom if ever went beyond the county lines. He wanted his students to see other places and experience the thrill of competition, and the glory of victory.

After moving from Abbeville, and loosing touch, I was thrilled to reconnect with Mr. Scott last spring at the reunion and to see him again in August. The years had been hard on his body, but he was exactly the same.

Mr. Scott was more than simply a teacher to so many of us, he was a role model, a shoulder to cry on, and a mentor.

The long drive down from Maryland this weekend to attend his funeral has been a time to reflect on his life and the thousands of lives he touched and improved and through those thousands tens of thousands more. Mr. Scott never hid his shinning light under a basket for sure and because of him many of us do not either.

My heart and prayers go out to his family and to all of the Grenadier family who are all mourning.