4.26.2009

Update from the American Idol Series

The American Idol series is creating buzzzzz around The Creek.Today's service was packed with 2,041 people (unofficial count).  The remarkable thing for me was the response time at the conclusion of the service.There were between 10 - 15 people in each of the three services to raise their hand to make a decision for Christ. That's special.  I was raised in a church where we went seven years and only saw one decision for Christ.I love it that Stevens Creekers are passionate about inviting their friends and family members to come to faith.
About Phil Stacey.  A lot of times you may see performers on stage and you may wonder what they are like when the stage lights are turned off.  Phil and his wife Kendra are the "real deal".  They were genuine, sincere, and very humble.  He said several times that it was an honor to sing at The Creek.  I was not expecting him to say anything like that and for him to say it two or three times let me know that he really meant it. He and Kendra were very kind.  I also found out that our own Melissa Lloyd (Kevin's wife) was in a musical group with Phil and Kendra while they were in college. It's a small world.
I asked them about their kids and they said that there kids hated to miss their home church, Hendersonville Church of God, Hendersonville, Tennessee.  Phil's dad is the pastor.  His kids were at their grandparents today.  
Trivia side note:  The Hendersonville Church of God was the home church for what country star?  Johnny Cash.   Thirty years ago, the pastor of that church was John Colbaugh.  Pastor John led Johnny Cash to the Lord and baptized him in the Jordan River.  You know that you are six steps from knowing everybody.Well, when Pastor Colbaugh left Tennessee, he moved to Louisiana where he was my wife's pastor growing up.  Pastor John married Patty and me back in the 1980s. Patty's dad was the treasurer of the Monroe Church of God and I can remember him showing me checks to the Monroe Church from Johnny Cash. Where your name typically goes on the check, his checks read "House of Cash".
Pastor Colbaugh passed away a few months back.  He was the nicest guy that you would ever meet.  At 62, we thought that he had many more years, but God had another plan. 
Six Steps again.  Do you know who Pastor Colbaugh's Children's Pastor was?  Our own Bob Wilson.  Yes, a few weeks after Pastor Colbaugh died, Bob joined our staff.  Okay... it's a small world.
Do you want to hear another small world story?  Right after the third service today, I met a guy that sang in Phil and Kendra Stacey's wedding.  He just moved to Augusta a few weeks ago and has been attending The Creek.
I hope you have a great week.  Pastor Dave and I are headed to a conference featuring some of the greatest churches in America. It will be held outside of Raleigh, NC.  So, if I am pumped up when you see me on Wednesday, you will know why.
Be blessed.

2 comments:

Dave said...

It was a great week and a great conference. God is doing BIG things around the Creek!

Mary Pirani said...

Pastor Bob Wilson was my son's pastor. I miss him and Pastor Colbaugh very much. Pastor Bob has been one of the greatest influences on my son, Joshua's life.
During that same time Pastor Colbaugh was an anchor in my life and I spent every Wednesday night in Bible Study with him until 2 weeks before his death.

You are blessed. Pastor Bob, Tonya, and the kids are truly amazing.

LCOG
Mary Pirani