10.25.2009

What Happend in the 11:30 AM service today?

It’s 4:15 PM Sunday afternoon and I just woke up. I typically crash at 3:00 PM every Sunday.  I use to lay on the sofa and nod off and catch a nap. But, these days I pull back the covers and dive in the bed.  Like I said, I just got up. The house is silent because Patty is in Atlanta and Samuel is at a youth function.  I thought that I would use this as a time to de-brief about what happened in the 11:30 AM service (10/25/09).

If you were not in the 11:30 AM, you will not understand this post. If you were in that service, you will know exactly what I am talking about.  In a nutshell here it is:  The Lord was present to save.

Let me unpack that a little bit. As most of you know, I have been serving The Creek for nearly 22 years.  Today’s 11:30 AM service was unlike anything in the modern Creek history.  For those that were not there, I will try to fill you in, but honestly I do not remember everything that was said. The words were not mine (I know that sounds strange to some of you…oh well).

On a practical level, I preached the same message in all three services.  It was a message focusing on the Great Banquet parable that Jesus taught in Luke 14.  I felt good about the message going in.  Earlier in the week, Dave helped me craft the talk.  He has helped some in the past.  This week was a little different.  Todd and Dave met and had a number on new ideas for me to use.  It’s hard for me to use someone’s ideas, so I ask Dave to talk me through it.  He did and got up to leave. I said, “Wait a minute. We are going to write it out with you here.”  We did and the sermon was 60% done on Tuesday afternoon.  I worked on it a few hours on Thursday and two or three hours Saturday morning. 

It was a good message…not a masterpiece but something I was looking forward to sharing. I was able to take a drive up to Greenwood by myself on Friday and had some extra time praying about the service.  I felt good about the day.

I went to the Carolina game on Saturday evening and got home around midnight. I do not like ESPN Saturday night games.  They are too late for me. Games are something that gives me one-on-one time with Samuel so they are worth the investment.  I woke up this morning feeling good. I expected to be tired and moving kind of slow, but no so.

I got to the church a little after 7:00 AM and started going through the message.  I felt good about it and was excited to share it.  I was a little nervous about the table on the stage because I did not know how exactly I was going to use it.

I sensed the Lord in the first service and that made preaching easier than normal. The first service came off like a second or third service would normally.  It felt natural. Todd encouraged me to reshape the ending because I was not clear enough when I talked about the empty chair.  I thought that was good advice so I went into the 10 AM service with a desire to make the ending clear enough so that people would be personally challenged.

The 10 AM felt good.  By this time, I am usually getting a little tired and sometimes I have trouble staying focused. It’s harder than you think to preach three times in a row.  Many times in the third service, I have to concentrate to stay in the game.  My mind wanders.  As the music started in the third service, my mind drifted a little bit.  I started thinking about next week’s message, my schedule for the next few days and so forth.  As we worshiped I refocused my thoughts and started to pray for the people in the service.

My prayer soon turned to intercession.  I started praying in tongues fervently.  Now, I do this as a normal practice, but this was different. It was as if the Lord was praying through me in a directed manner.  You know when you pray in tongues, your spirit is praying but like Paul said, your mind is unfruitful.  As I am fervently praying, I had this thought, “Most people in this auditorium would freak out if they knew what I was doing.”  As I write this, I am smiling because that is funny to me.

I stepped up to preach the message with a desire to communicate it in a way that would touch many people. I wanted it to be better than the previous service.  It went well.  I felt as though the Lord used me and I did what I was supposed to do.  Todd sang and I closed in prayer. As I said, “Amen”, I sensed that the Lord was not finished with the message.  I paused at that moment. 

It is important to respect spiritual moments.  Pause and see what the Lord is doing in the room.  As I waited for a few seconds, the Lord prompted me to call people to be saved.  I thought, “Lord, I just said that.”  To be obedient, I reiterated the call to salvation.

Well, that’s about all I remember right now.  Words that I did not write started flooding my mind. I could not speak them fast enough. It was truly like the Prophet Jeremiah wrote … a fire in my bones. As I write this blog, I cannot tell you what I said. I remember challenging people to making a decision to follow Jesus to making him the LORD of their lives.  I also remember feeling that it was urgent that someone needed to change today. I had to convince them that life was short and that it was time to change directions.  There was urgency like I have not ever felt in our modern Creek history.  There was a call to stop playing church and starting walking in the truth. I remember going back and forth begging people to repent.  The flow of words slowed down and I gave a second call to faith.  This time I knew that I had everyone’s attention.

We have a problem at Stevens Creek and that is, when I go to close a service people start moving (getting Bibles, purses, etc). This often hinders me and others that are spiritually seeking.  Today, however, NO ONE was moving.  They recognized that we were in the presence of the Lord.  I asked people to raise their hands if they want to repent. Thirty, forty or fifty people put their hands up in the air.  It was amazing.  I honestly believe that people were saved today.  Some of these individuals may have prayed a prayer before but today I think that prayed this one with great sincerity.  I think they touched God.  Again, it was amazing.  I am so appreciative of what the Lord did today.

Here’s what I know. I can pray and preach good sermons and some people will make a decision to follow Christ. The Lord can come in through the power of the Holy Spirit and preach a five to ten minute sermon after I have already preached one and get scores of people saved.  That’s how it works. I say it frequently, “We need the power of the Holy Spirit in our lives.” We need the power of the Holy Spirit in our preaching. He can do more than we imagine.

As I reflect on today’s events, I am honored to have witnessed a “move of God” at Stevens Creek Church.  I believe that we snatched some people from the gates of Hell today. I believe that Jesus worked miracles in our services … all four services not just the 11:30 AM.

As I left the stage, I looked at Todd and said, “Well, I guess that won’t be shown on television or the web.” He said, “I don’t know. We might need to show it.”  Here’s what we will do. As we review it, we will pray to see if that was a specific word for that particular service or if it was a word for a larger audience. If it is for a larger audience, we will put it on the web.  I may hesitate to put it on television because it is the meat of the word and many of our viewers can only handle milk.  We have to be sensitive to our target.

I pray that this is the beginning of a new move of the Lord at Stevens Creek.  If these individuals that raised their hand to make Jesus Lord tell their friends what happened and then their friends come and find faith, we are on the road to revival.  Be praying that God does exactly that.

Speaking of prayer, pray for me tomorrow morning as I begin on the message, “You can have a new life” for this coming week.  As you know, Ruby will be with us.  I want this to be a life-giving service for our friends.

Be blessed and have a great week.

Sincerely,

Marty

martybaker@stevenscreekchurch.com

6 comments:

Teri Ryan said...

How awesome is the Lord to know what was needed at that service.

Unknown said...

It was amazing! I knew it wasn't you speaking though. I couldn't tell you exactly what you said, only some things, but it was very powerful...

And next time you're beside me in worship, I'm going to be aware that you're speaking in tongues, and I won't freak out. Haha.

Linda said...

Maybe we are headed for another Great Revival. Let me take a minute to report what I experienced this same Sunday. We went to the 8:30 AM at the Creek and it was inspirational. Pastor Marty's prayer was specifically directed to people's concerns that I had talked to. I am not sure if he knew that. Anyway, after the 8:30 AM service at the Creek we went to the 11:30 AM at another church and the Holy Spirit moved there as well. The pastor there chucked the sermon he had planned and simply used the whole service to call people to salvation. During the service he called choir soloists out of the audience, who clearly had not planned to sing that day, and they came up and belted out songs one after another as people came forward to rededicate and give their lives to Christ.

Let's make a point to get on our knees in a big way and give out those Ruby cards to people that God leads you to invite.

Dave said...

Marty, it was indeed a powerful day. You've challenged us to be praying for "Greater Things" this year and God is beginning to answer that prayer in a mighty way! I can't wait to see what He does next!

Unknown said...

Marty..Man do these words hit home with me! I found myself during 1130 worship praying instead of singing! Like you said Marty, after a few moments I found myself interceding for those in that service. I could not help but repeat over and over..."God draw your people to your Name" There is no way to deny when the Spirit of God is flowing in a room. Thank you for being so receptive to the Spirit!

DiAnn Primm said...

your sermon has reached San Fran. CA. I have shared it with my friends and we agree we need more meat not just milk. If you sell copies of this sermon I'll take 5ni